Media Literacy - Today and Tomorrow

Some very important information that I found while watching the two videos were that on average a person spends 10-12 hours a day on the media. That is half your day wasted. In today's society, media is taking over everyone's lives because it is so addicting. It is very hard just to focus and filter the "good media," meaning that there is so much media from many different perspectives that it is not possible to remove all the negativity. I also found out that it is important to target all audiences and how they view things, but at the same time, it is not possible to cover each point of view because there are so many different people with opinions. Therefore, people just need to be accepting of others opinions. Lastly, the media can be both beautiful and dangerous. It can be beautiful because there are so many different things that it has to offer, but dangerous because like I said, it can become very addicting and consume your lifestyle. Speaking for myself, I spend over half my spare time on the media. I am concerned that one day, the media will consume everyone, not allowing anyone to have their own opinions.

Comments

  1. Janet,

    Your comment on being opened too different perspectives and opinions is something I think is a major concern in today's society. Some researchers have indicated that the format of social media platforms, like Twitter and Facebook, leave little room for dialogue where many users simply make short insulting or degrading comments without trying to engage productively with the person they disagree with. I always think of the words spoken by the character Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird: We really do not know another person until we put on their shoes and walk around in them (paraphrased, of course). I think the way social media platforms are designed makes it difficult to have any empathy for people with differing opinions than are own, and there is also, I think, too much tolerance and acceptance of rude and mob mentality behaviour.

    Thanks,
    AC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,
    I found it amazing that people spend 10-12 hours on media each day. Like you said in your entry, you spend most of your free time on media and I am also guilty of that. People are slowly getting addicted to media, it is ruining social aspects and consuming peoples lives. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,

    I thought you had a lot of excellent points on the two videos. I specifically found your point on the average hours spent on media very interesting. It's hard to believe that so many people waist almost half their day on different types of medias. I agree that it is a frightening thing to imagine the future as we already spend too much time on the internet.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment